Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Sunsets

The sunset in Portland was extraordinary tonight: clear and cold and quiet.  It had me thinking (pardon the cheese) about the sunset of 2010 that just occurred, and the sunrise of 2011 that is just beginning.  This year I have so many patterns to leave behind, and so much to build.  My world is starting to get bigger again, after shrinking and changing fundamentally in the last year.  There was a stillness in the sunset tonight that reminded me that beauty doesn't have to explode in front of me to be real; in fact, the beauty that comes with quiet can bring with it a profound peace.  Forgiveness is also stealthy.  This change of year slipped into my house, sat down, and told me to go outside and look at the moon.  I'd forgotten that there is a whole world outside to help me right-size all the pieces of life that can feel so overwhelming.

It's good to be back in Portland for a couple of weeks.  What a gift to live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment