Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Getting precise

One of my professors said the following in her lecture today:


“Part of the task is to get really precise about what we mean.  If we aren’t precise, we have no hope of moving the dial.” (S. Jones, 11-9-10)


Her statement was about prevention programming, and how it's important as practitioners and researchers to be very clear about what we're trying to change, and under what circumstances, and for whom.  It raises great questions about the viability of research and practice across identity groups.


But it made me think about this blog.


That was anti-climactic, I know.


I want to be precise about this space, and "musings on words and life" is perhaps a tad...broad.  Everything everywhere is about words and life: how I name who I am, what I choose to spend my daily word allowance on, if I'm a good tipper because I think that's important (which I do).  These are all musings on words and life. 

What I'm really interested in, though, is this idea of precision.  I would like to use this as a place to name my experiences so precisely that they become useful to other people.  It's the eternal paradox of good poetry, right?  The more specific you are, the more universal your message becomes.  (I told you I'd tell you things you already know.)



So it might just end up that I'm precise about a lot of different things here.  We'll see how it goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment